Friday, February 11, 2011

Kickass Katsu Curry!!

Beautiful Katsu Curry 
For me there's nothing as comforting on a miserable evening than huge bowl of katsu curry with a heaped mound of steaming fluffy white rice. Now, I'm by no means a curry snob, as many of my friends can testify! I'm more than partial to a "durty" curry form my local Chinese takeaway, but sometimes I want more than a bowl of guilt.

I'm not going to lie. I have a fetish for katsu curry. It's probably very uncouth of me to admit that this long lasting love affair started in a Dublin branch of Wagamama. However shameful food chain origins aside, this curry is a seriously good winter warmer. So when Pino came over the other night with a mountain of work still to do. I decided to throw together a katsu curry, partially to reward him but let's face it, it was really to satisfy my own glutinous needs.

I make my own curry powder and garam masala and I'll be posting about that soon enough but for most people this would be too much work. Instead I'd recommend you buy a good quality curry powder and garam masala from your local Asian market.

With Katsu curry you should officially use panko breadcrumbs for your meat but I have on many occasion thrown a chunk of baguette into a blender when I haven't been able to get my hands on some panko. As always use the recipe as a guide and add subtract things as you like.

For the chicken or pork: 


  • 100g of flour 
  • 200g of breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg beaten 
  • Chicken just ready for turning
  • salt and pepper 

For the curry sauce: 
  • 1 tbs of curry powder 
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 onion 
  • 2 carrots 
  • 1 tsp garam masala 
  • 700mls of chicken stock 
  • 2 tbs flour 
  • 1 bay leaf 
  • 1 tbs soy sauce 
  • 2 tsp honey 

The How To Bit: 

Saute the onions and garlic in a pan with some groundnut oil for a few min. Once softened add the diced carrots and turn the heat down. Cook with a lid on for about 10 min. This will start to caramelise the vegetables and add a wonderful sweetness to the curry. Now stir in the flour and curry powder and allow to cook in the oil for a min. Slowly pour over the stock while stirring continuously. Add the soy sauce, honey and bay leaf. Bring this mixture to the boil, reduce and simmer for 20min or until it's at the consistency that you like. Add the garam masala and pass it through a sieve. I like my katsu smooth but if you like a chunky curry then leave the bits in. 
For the chicken or pork simply season the meat with salt and pepper dust in flour, dip in the egg and then cover in breadcrumbs. I then put these into an oven at gas mark 6 for 35-40 min. Turning halfway through. 

I like my curry with rice but it's also lovely with noodles.  Myself and Pino had a very tasty Monday evening!





The boy and his food 
Do you think Pino looks

  1. Confused as to why I'm taking a picture of him eating
  2. Exahusted from the mountain of work he has to do
  3. Happy at being fed 
  4. all of the above 
Answer on the back of a postcard.....or just leave a comment. Yeah that might be easier come to think of it. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks bloody amazing! Pino doesn't look nearly as impressed as he should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, he was happy with the food. He just was a little confused as to why I was taking a picture of him.

    ReplyDelete